The Shafers

Saturday, October 30, 2010

30 on the 30th!

Today I am officially 30 weeks on the 30th of October. Time is flying by and I cannot believe I only have 10 weeks left to go until the little babes comes. We are so excited! In fact, we are so excited we have included him in our Halloween costumes for tonight (picture to come later).

Tonight is our ward Halloween party and originally John wanted to be Brian Wilson, the pitcher from the Giants, by wearing a baseball hat, jersey, and of course the famous beard. I ended up buying a beard the other day since I was in the mall and saw a Halloween store. Don't know why...but I paid 12 bucks for this Abraham Lincoln beard that I thought would pass for a similar beard Wilson has.





Yesterday John and I went to five or so sports/hat stores since John doesn't own a Giants hat. We could not find ONE hat that was his size...and some of the stores were completely sold out of Giants hats! Should I be surprised though considering we are the best baseball team in the country at the moment? We came home unsuccessful, even after asking several people if they had a Giants hat we could borrow. No one did. So with no hat and no jersey we decided John needed a new costume. The problem was that I had bought this useless beard which I noticed when I got home that the receipt said non-returnable.

Great! The store had never told me I wouldn't be able to return the $12 beard, but I told John I wanted to go back to the store and at least play dumb and try to return it. We went to the store late last night and after talking to the "manager" I made a deal with him. I told him there is no way I will ever use the beard and we agreed that I could trade the beard for something else in the store.

So the beard that was completely useless to us at this point somehow became one of the best things in the store. After walking back and forth through the store for half an hour we concluded there wasn't ONE thing in the ENTIRE store we wanted. Haha, it was hilarious to think we couldn't find one single item that we would rather have than the beard. In the end, we decided we had to get rid of the beard regardless of how hard it was to find something else and we finally walked out with a pumpkin bucket to put candy in and two "Winner" olympic medals that we thought maybe some day we can use for some primary activity, birthday party, or something...

It's funny how something so small can become such an ordeal. We concluded that the beard brought bad luck since the second I got home the other day after buying it, I broke one of our cups, and since then John stepped on a piece of glass from the cup. Also, John's football and my hair brush have mysteriously disappeared out of our car, our car breaks have started smelling bad, and we saw a couple of car accidents.

We are glad to have that thing out of our house, and now John has a better costume for tonight. We'll post pictures of Halloween later!

1 comment:

  1. How sad! There were a lot of people dressed as Wilson here. I can't wait to see your other costumes. Your bad luck must have spread to me. Yesterday I broke a bowl, melted a hole in a bottle with a hot frying pan, and ran over a basketball.

    ReplyDelete